Terms of Hire for Emsworth Sailing Club (ESC) Boats
- Boats may only be hired by active ESC Members.
- No Boat will be hired to the same person or family for a period in excess of 5 consecutive days without written approval from email@example.com.
- The hirer must be 18 years old or over at the date of hire.
- The hirer is responsible for the boat while it is being used during the period of hire.
- The hirer will be considered the "master" of the boat for the period of use.
- ESC may require the hirer to provide a deposit against damage of not more than £50 prior to the hiring in addition to the hire fee.
- Any damage or loss to the hired equipment, beyond fair wear and tear will be reported by following this link https://bit.ly/ESCissue or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- If damage to the boat is not reported the hirer may be liable for the full cost of repairs.
- Hirers shall reimburse ESC for any loss or damage caused during their period of hire, to: a) boat, SUP, Kayak and/or b) third party, and shall either, pay the full cost of replacement and/or repair, or pay the amount of any insurance excess applicable which is £50, whichever is the lesser amount.
- Boats must be returned to their allocated slot on the terrace or billet by the hirer with all equipment immediately after use, packed away, washed down and free from sand. A surcharge may be applied to the hirer if this is not completed to a satisfactory standard.
- ESC/Bosun may make such enquiries of the hirer prior to the hiring as it considers appropriate to satisfy itself that the hirer is competent to sail the boat and has the right to refuse a hiring on such grounds as it considers fit.
- Hirers will be bound by the Emsworth Sailing Club Rules and Bye Laws and go afloat at their own risk.
- All persons using a hire boat shall wear a buoyancy aid at all times whilst afloat.
- The hirer may not sail the Boat other than from the ESC site without the written approval of the Bosun.
- Refunds are at the discretion of ESC and will only be issued in exceptional circumstances.
- Maximum number of people in each ESC boat:
a. RS Feva XL should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
b. 2000 should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
c. Laser should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
d. RS Tera should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
e. Laser Bahia should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
f. Optimist should be in accordance with the CE Plate that can be found within the cockpit of the vessel.
- ESC may impose such other conditions on the hire of the boats as it considers reasonably necessary.
- ESC reserves the right to cancel any bookings if boats are required for training purposes. Training will always take priority over bookings. ESC will endeavour to provide as much cancellation notice as possible.
Club boat information
For pleasure use, members may hire a boat if they have prior experience of sailing the type of boat or who are otherwise very experienced sailors capable of competently sailing them. If there is any doubt an induction can be arranged upon request.
All ESC boats have their own individual trolleys and parking space on the terrace or a billet in the Mountbatten Boat Park. Please ensure that you return the boat on its own trolley to its appropriate location and secure it. Likewise, all sails, foils and spars have an individual storage place in the Sail Store; please ensure that you return everything to its appropriate place. This makes for easy checking that all equipment is present and accounted for and ensures that everything is where it should be for the next person.
Checking over the boat and getting it ready to launch
Prior to launching it is essential to check the boat over for any damage or defects and to ensure that all safety equipment is present and working. Carefully remove the cover and store properly, do not leave it lying on the ground outside where it will get walked on and/or blow away or lying on top of another boat etc.
Use only the parts belonging to each boat. All sails, foils, spars, covers and trolleys for club ESC boats are marked with an identification number specific to each boat. Please do not use equipment belonging to another boat. This is to ensure that different boats are kept in the correct set up for racing or beginner training etc. Please ensure that you also put the boat back on its own numbered trolley.
Launching & recovery
Boats should always be launched and recovered in suitable depths of water to avoid accidental damage to the hull or foils.
Crews should always drop the mainsail before approaching the slip when the wind is onshore (ie NE to SW direction). After launching ensure that the trolley is returned to its designated space and not just abandoned where it could cause inconvenience to other members etc. Leaving trolleys on the main slipway during a falling tide must be avoided as this causes inconvenience to other boat users wishing to launch etc. Think of others!
A personal flotation device must be worn at all times by everyone aboard the boat. Other safety equipment such as a handheld radio etc could be useful especially if taking the boat some distance from ESC. The masthead flotation device provided for the Bahia dinghies to prevent the mast inverting after capsize, must be hoisted at all times, including while racing, when the boat is on the water. General Smoking aboard any ESC boat, SUP, Kayak is strictly prohibited.
These guidelines are designed to keep ESC boats in the best condition possible and the hiring of boats is conditional upon the hirer adhering to them. Hirers who do not take care of equipment may be unable to hire boats in the future. Please report missing items, damage, breakages by following this link https://bit.ly/ESCissue or emailing email@example.com