Hybrid Financial General Meeting proposal
Published 00:00 on 7 Jul 2020
Update 20 July: View the actual ballot paper.
The Covid 19 pandemic and government restrictions forced the postponement of the 2020 Financial General Meeting (Fin GM). The General Committee wishes to hold this meeting but is concerned that continuing restrictions and uncertainty mean that the Club Rules are not sufficiently versatile in enabling General Meetings to take place other than by physical means.
Therefore it intends to ballot the membership to seek permission to hold the Fin GM with either a physical and/or an electronic attendance to approve the 2019 accounts and to consider rule changes to enable future General Meetings to take place either by physical, electronic or a combination of types of attendance within the Rules.
Recent relaxation in Limited Company regulation does not apply to Emsworth SC, though the government rules regarding gatherings and social distancing has helped a little.
Further details will be released when the ballot is sent out. There will be a tight response time in order to facilitate the Fin GM, which is likely to be held on Thursday 10 September at 1900, subject to member approval.
At this stage, the intention would be to hold the AGM in early November.
Proposed 2 phase approach
Phase 1: Exceptionally, in response to the Covid 19 pandemic which caused the postponement of the 2020 Fin GM in the Spring, the Club will ballot by post all members in order to seek their assent to:
- Allow members to attend the 2020 Fin GM either in person or via an electronic platform, and
- Allow proxy votes exceeding those held by members in physical attendance to be held by the Trustees to ensure those attending may vote.
- The quorum may be achieved by both physical and electronic attendees.
- Members will be required to apply to attend, and - when requested - shall indicate if this will be physical or electronic. If physical numbers exceed those available at that time, then priority will be given on a first-come, first-served basis, plus those the GC deems essential to attend, including members who have put forward motions.
The ballot will be held as soon as is practicable. Then:
Phase 2: The 2020 Fin GM is to be held on Thursday September 10th at 1900hrs. The agenda and papers will be published on the noticeboard, the website and will also be emailed to members as required 21 days prior to that date (August 20th). Members wishing to put forward motions must have these received by the office 28 days prior to that date (August 13th).
- To approve the minutes of the 2019 AGM.
- To receive and if deemed appropriate, approve the 2019 annual accounts.
- To consider rule changes to enable electronic attendance.
Please send in any questions you may have seeking clarification to the Club Secretary
The General Committee