Seeking, Junior Captain/Junior Captains
Published 01:00 on 24 Aug 2023
Emsworth Sailing Club is now looking for its next Junior Captain(s). This voluntary role is very important to ensure the Club meets the needs of all the Junior sailors. It also provides an opportunity to see how the club works and to develop communication and team leading skills.
Please read the role description below to work out if it is something you would be interested in doing. Please email your application letter to email@example.com explaining why you think you are the right person for the role and one thing you would like to achieve for the Club whilst you are Junior Captain.
Closing date for applications is Saturday 30 September 2023.
ESC Junior Captain
- The Junior Captain(s) should be in school year 12, a keen sailor with a passion for encouraging the Junior membership to participate in relevant club events.
- Responsibilities and duties include:
- Act as a role model for the juniors at the club, actively participating in sailing events
- Attend junior events and help junior members as appropriate, eg. you may attend rigging sessions where parents and juniors learn how to rig their boat. Use these events to network within the Club, meet and engage with sailors, instructors and parents, encourage young members and provide them with hints and tips
- Attend Junior Working Group meetings, acting as the voice of the Junior section
- Represent the views of the juniors at the Junior Working Group, House and Sailing committee meetings, ensuring the plans for the section are what is wanted across all junior age groups
- Develop one new event or solution to an issue (on or off the water) that will enhance the junior section. For example this could be a fundraising activity, a new sailing or social event. Implementing the idea will be aided by the Junior Working Group, House and Sailing committees
- Provide monthly reports to Sailing and House committees of the views and suggestions from the junior section
- Actively communicate and engage with the junior sailors and their families through the Club communication channels
- Encourage the juniors to become involved in Club activities, such as working groups, duties (as appropriate), environmental issues, fundraising and social events
- Attend (where possible) key Club events such as the New Members' reception, Start of Season meeting, COW Week, Junior Race Week and Junior open meetings
- Have a role in key junior social activities
- The Junior Captain(s) should have good communication skills, good organisational skills, be happy working as part of a team and happy to stand up and present to small groups.